Are you searching for a great pair of cowboy boots?
Whether you are looking for a pair of boots for horseback riding, working around the farm, or wearing out with your family I have reviewed the most popular brands and styles on the market and after reading this article you will know my recommendations for the best cowboy boots for men, women and kids.
Check the quick list below for links to customer reviews and prices for my best cowboy boots picks, or read on for the full review:
- ARIAT Men’s Rambler Western Boot
- ARIAT Men’s Quickdraw Western Boot
- Ariat Women’s Round up Wide Square Toe Western Cowboy Boot
- ARIAT Women’s Fatbaby Collection Western Boot
- Kids’ Roughstock Western Cowboy Boot
Selecting the Best Cowboy Boot for You
Finding the right cowboy boots is imperative so that you don’t suffer with pinched and uncomfortable feet. If you are going to be wearing your boots for function, then you won’t have to worry as much about the colors and designs on them, although they can be stylish too and can set your cowboy boots apart from others.
I recommend that you start by considering the leather of your new boots. Goat is a great option as it is smooth and traditional. It breaks in quickly, which means that your boots will get softer a lot faster. Snakeskin, on the other hand, has a distinctive look, but requires regular oiling and care to look great.
Ostrich, lizard, and caiman are all other options to consider. Out of these, ostrich is the most durable, which is great if you are going to wear your boots all day, every day.
You also need to consider how high the boot will fit on your leg, the height of the heel, and the style of the toe. Boots that have a very high heel simply won’t be very comfortable for wearing when riding a horse all day long.
Some boots have incredibly narrow toes, but people who have broad feet will find that these are incredibly uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.
The Advantages of Great Cowboy Boots
Wearing cowboy boots when you’re riding a horse has a lot of benefits, and one is that they help to prevent the rider’s foot from slipping forward in the stirrup. Boots that have a bit of a heel on them are great for holding onto the stirrup and stopping and sliding motion of the foot.
While it’s obvious that cowboy boots will help with riding and are durable enough to help protect your feet from being injured when working on a farm, they also offer surprising benefits for people who aren’t farmers.
Cowboy boots are being praised by doctors for providing a little bit of lift on the heel, which can reduce any strain on the Achilles tendon. They are also great for adding stability to the foot, as they often have a metal shank that runs from the toe to the heel. This extra support and bit of a lift is great for everyone, especially people who are on their feet all day and need a little additional support and stability.
Attributes to Look for
There are three main attributes to consider when looking for cowboy boots. You’ll want to consider the toe shape, width of the boots, and the heel size. It’s important that cowboy boots aren’t too tight around the foot, as this can constrict the foot and make walking difficult.
It’s also important that the toes aren’t cramped into the toe box, which can cause a lot of problems. Looking for a cowboy boot with a roomy toe is important.
Even though the designs on a cowboy boot won’t play a role in how well they fit or function, I recommend that everyone shopping for cowboy boots take the design into consideration. You want to make sure that you choose boots that you find attractive and that you want to wear.
How to Best Wear Your New Cowboy Boots
Cowboy boots work well with any outfit, which is great news for men and women who want to incorporate them into their everyday lives. However, you must make sure that you are taking care of your boots and that you wear them with the right socks.
Wearing cowboy boots without socks can be very uncomfortable, will cause your feet to sweat a lot, and will form blisters on your skin. While it can be frustrating to have to buy socks to wear only with your boots, you want to make sure that you have high-quality socks that will prevent rubbing and chafing.
Wearing cowboy boots regularly is important, as this will help you to easily break in the leather, stretch the boots out a little, and reduce the possibility of chafing or rubbing on your foot. While it can be tempting to start wearing your boots all day when you get them, I recommend wearing them for shorter periods of time at first so that you can slowly break them in.
It can be tempting to buy cowboy boots second hand, but this isn’t a good idea. You don’t want to buy boots that have already conformed to someone else’s feet, as this can result in you dealing with foot pain.
Best Cowboy Boots
Cowboy boots have long been a popular type of footwear, not only for cowboys, but for anyone looking for a stylish way to protect their feet. I’m sure like me you were surprised by just how many options are out these. With that in mind me and my family gave a ton of boots a test ride in the saddle, around the barn, and out on the town.
Best Cowboy Boots for Men
ARIAT Men’s Rambler Western Boot
The lower cut of this boot makes it very comfortable to wear all day long, and the shape of the boot conforms easily to the foot. Unlike other boots that have very pointed toes, this boot has a larger and slightly more square toe box to ensure comfort all day long.
- Pre-worn look is great for people who want a boot that looks broken in
- Genuine leather stretches a bit to ensure comfort when wearing the boot
- Easily protects feet against moisture and mud
- Dark brown color is natural and looks great with most outfits
- Ship tight and need time to loosen up to be comfortable
- Sizing can be a little tricky since the boots stretch so easily
ARIAT Men’s Quickdraw Western Boot
Designed to be easy to put on and easy to wear, these boots are gorgeous and comfortable. The small heel is perfect for wearing them all day long without feeling off balance, and the thick and durable sole adds additional protection to the foot. Designed to be a great mix of function and fashion, these boots are built to last.
- Bright color contrast is eye catching and elevates these boots
- Thick rubber sole helps to protect feet and prevent them from fatigue
- Fit as expected, making it easy for new wearers to buy
- Offer plenty of foot support for all-day wear
- Stitching is a little sloppy and lowers the quality of the boot
- Toes easily scuff and will lose color
Best Cowboy Boots for Women
Ariat Women’s Round up Wide Square Toe Western Cowboy Boot
Designed to provide plenty of room for women who have larger feet, these boots are comfortable, reliable, and built to last. They are great for walking and work just as well for riding, which makes them a wonderful all-around boot for any woman who has horses and needs to take care of them.
- Slim design looks great on women and helps to elongate the leg
- 1.5” heel is perfect for all-day use without fatigue
- Impressive 4-layer footbed adds additional comfort to the boot
- Deeper tread on the outsole adds stability and grip when in wet or slippery conditions
- Taller shaft height makes them uncomfortable for some women
- Tend to run narrow across the instep, which can cause discomfort across the foot
ARIAT Women’s Fatbaby Collection Western Boot
Not only do these boots look great, but they are designed to be as comfortable as possible, which is great for women who are on their feet all day long. They are easy to pull up and fit lower on the leg thanks to the shorter shaft, which allows for free movement, making them ideal for busy women working on a farm.
- Shorter shaft allows for plenty of unrestricted movement when wearing these boots
- Durable sole not only helps with grip, but also provides additional cushioning
- Four-row stitching helps prevent the boot from coming apart
- Advanced design makes these boots ideal for riding, competing, and working
- Arch is very shallow, which can make the boot difficult to pull on
- Can be difficult to size correctly
Best Cowboy Boots for Kids and Toddlers
Kids’ Roughstock Western Cowboy Boot
Children’s feet grow quickly, which is why this boot features a removable wiggle room insert. It makes it easy to size the boot up a bit as the child’s foot grows, allowing the boot to last for a long time before it needs to be replaced. Additionally, this boot features great stitching and durable components so it will last.
- Wide and square toe provides plenty of space for children to move their feet
- Thick rubber sole is great for adding stability to the boot
- Foot and upper are made from full grain leather
- Designed to be easy for children to put on and take off on their own
- Not ideal for children who have wide and flat feet
- Can be a bit difficult to size
For more horse guides and tips read these articles:
- Most Comfortable Cowboy Boots
- Best Saddle Bags for Horse
- Best English Riding Boots
- Best Horse Grooming Kit
While some cowboy boots simply don’t fit comfortably on the foot, which makes them difficult to wear for long periods of time, the Ariat Men’s Quickdraw Western Boots are an exception. While they do require some time to loosen up and conform to the foot, they do this rather quickly, and tend to be very comfortable right out of the box. I think that this makes them a great option for anyone who needs boots right away and doesn’t have a lot of time to wait for them to break in. While they are designed for men, women who have larger feet can also enjoy the way that they look and feel.
Here is the quick list with my picks for the best cowboy boots once again. If you want to see customer reviews and prices check the links to Amazon.