Are you searching for the best trailer hitch lock?
I have reviewed the top trailer hitch locks available on the market and after reading this article you will know the best trailer hitch lock available and how they can protect your trailer from theft.
Check the quick list below for links to customer reviews and prices for my picks, or read on for the full review:
- Reese Towpower Universal Coupler Lock
- Tow Ready (63228) Gorilla Guard Trailer Hitch Lock
- Master Lock 377KA Trailer Hitch Coupler Lock
- Proven Industries 2516 Trailer Lock
- Amplock U-BRP2516
- Master Lock Universal Trailer Hitch Lock
- Blaylock TL-33 Coupler Lock
- Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal
- Bulldog Easy Access Adjustable Trailer Coupler Lock
- Audew Trailer Lock
If you are anything like me, you have a lot of hard earned money invested in your trailers.
A lot of money!
And you want to keep your trailers out of the sticky fingers of would be trailer thieves.
The best way to do this is with a high quality trailer hitch lock.
Whether it's your horse trailer, travel trailer, or a flatbed, you want to make sure you have all of your trailers secured with a coupler lock designed to protect your trailer best.
Just think about the value of your trailers.
With the small investment in a trailer hitch lock, you can make a huge difference in protecting your trailer.
Like my grandfather told me, you can't put a price on piece of mind.
Let's dig right in to the list of best trailer hitch lock out there.
Best Trailer Hitch Lock
Trailer Coupler Lock
Coupler Size in Inches
Reese Towpower 72783
1-7/8, 2 and 2-5/16
Tow Ready 63228
Master Lock 377KA
1-7/8 and 2-5/16
Proven Industries 2516
2 5/16 and more
Best Way to Lock a Trailer
There are many cheap trailer locks and hitch coupler locks, but they are easily broken, leaving your trailer ripe for the taking.
Poor quality trailer hitch locks can be broken off with a pair of bolt cutters or a wrench, making them relatively useless in protecting your property.
For this reason we recommend one of the following five high quality and durable security locks for your trailer hitch.
1) Reese Towpower Universal Coupler Lock
This is one of the best trailer hitch locks by Rease, it is built strong and is very durable.
It comes with a heavy duty locking mechanism that isn't going to be easily broken or messed with.
It is made of quality steel and is painted and corrosion resistant.
I really like how it comes in a universal fit size, meaning it is going to work for all common hitch sizes as it is adjustable.
Hitches sized 1 7/8, 2 inches, and 2 5/16 will all fit.
The Rease Towpower Coupler Lock is four inches wide and has a three and a quarter inch coupler head.
It also comes in a few different colors. I personally like the yellow one pictured above.
- Strong and durable hitch lock
- Universal size
- Hitch lock is corrosion resistant
- Color options
- No key hole cover
2) Tow Ready Gorilla Guard Trailer Hitch Lock
The Gorilla Guard trailer hitch lock has a very different design than the Reese. But don't let that fool you, this one is a beast.
Designed to simply be slid over your coupler, it is made to withstand being hit with a hammer without breaking and coming off.
Thieves are not going to get this one off your trailer.
The Tow Ready will fit a 2 inch ball and the company believes in it so much that they include a one year warranty (but you likely won't need to use it).
This hitch lock is easily one of the best out there right now, strong, great design, and easy to use.
- Easy slides into place on your trailer hitch
- Solid and durable construction
- One of the strongest trailer hitch locks available
- Only designed for 2" couplers
3) Master Lock 377KA Trailer Coupler Lock
Master Lock is well known for their everyday locks, but they also make a darn good trailer hitch lock too.
The MasterLock 377ka is an excellent choice that comes in a couple sizes, 1 7/8 in and a 2 5/16 in model. Both are chrome and come with a couple keys (which I find incredibly handy).
This hitch and coupler lock has a much more aerodynamic profile, they say makes it more resistant to being hit with a hammer or someone attempting to pry it off your trailer.
Just like the previous models, this one is easy to install. Once fit on it will stay snug and resistant to would be lock pickers.
- Multiple trailer hitch lock sizes available
- Durable locking mechanism
- Compatible with all top trailer hitch brands
- Resistant to brute force attempts to remove
- Hitch lock is easy to install
- Not keyed to order
4) Proven Industries 2516 Ultimate Trailer Hitch Lock
The last two entries on our list are for those who demand the best trailer and hitch locks available.
Whichever of these two you choose, you can be sure to sleep easy at night knowing your trailers are safe and where you left them.
The Proven Industries 2516 is guaranteed bolt cutter proof.
This bad boy is engineered so precisely that the company has backed it up with a lifetime guarantee. This is one of the best two trailer locks you will find.
Made from super strong 1/4 in steel and surrounded with a thick armor guard, this hitch lock will stay put once locked on.
It also comes in every popular size, meaning you can get one for all of your trailers and keep them secure.
The Proven Industries 2516 comes with a healthy price tag, but is well worth it. Hands down one of the best locks out there.
- Hitch lock is guaranteed bolt cutter resistant
- Lifetime guarentee
- Sizes available to fit most hitches
- Perfect for the most valuable of your trailers
- High price tag
5) Amplock U-BRP2516 Trailer Hitch Lock
Arguably the number 1 strongest, most durable hitch lock on the market.
AMPLOCK has patented security technology they guarantee will keep your valuable trailers secure.
Each of these trailer locks is constructed with the highest quality components.
- Strong Stainless Steel Construction
- Durable Ducted Cast Iron Heat Reinforced Steel
- Completely Rust Resistent
- Completely Unique Key System
- Sizes available to fit all popular couplers
Easily one of the most expensive hitch locks available.
In this case, you absolutely get what you pay for.
And with this hitch lock you can go to bed at night certain your trailer is secure.
- Lock is rust resistant
- Unique key system
- Strong and durable steel locking construction
- Fits most couplers
- Perfect all all towing hitch set ups
- One of the most expensive hitch locks out there
6) Master Lock Universal Trailer Hitch Lock
Fits 1-7/8", 2" and 2-5/16" receivers and constructed of forged steel. This is easily on of the best trailer hitch lock choices out their for the money. And it comes with the trusted Master Lock name. Comes with a rust and corrosion resistant finish which will extend the useful life. The locking system is pick resistant and durable. This version is not keyed alike and the slide allows it to fit most couplers. The bright red color can be seen from a good distance which adds to the deterrent factor.
- Strong forged steel constructed hitch lock
- Excellent value for the money
- Rust and corrosion resistant
- Bright red color deters some thieves
- Some wiggle to the fit
7) Blaylock TL-33 Coupler Lock
This is a commercial grade trailer lock. I haven't tested it with every hitch out there but the manufacturer states it will fit over 30 different coupler styles. This one is constructed of aircraft grade aluminium and should hold up as well as any other on the list. The coupler bar has three slot positions and it fits 2" and 2 5/16" couplers. You will need a seperate discus padlock to secure the Blaylock. Make sure to get a quality discus lock. When you do, this is one of the best trailer hitch locks you can get.
- Fits almost all possible coupler models
- Resistant to brute force attempts to remove
- Hitch lock fits snug and is secure
- Aircraft grade aluminum construction is strong and durable
- Separate disc lock must be purchased to secure hitch lock
8) Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal
Constructed of hardened steel and polymer with a nylon housing making this a strong towing hitch lock. The Trimax comes with a dual ratchet locking system that tightens up well. Fits 1-7/8", 2", to 2-5/15" trailer couplers meaning it will fit most camper, trailer, and boat hitches. Not my favorite coupler lock but still a rock solid choice. It has become popular, meaning more criminals have learned how to break it off. That doesn't mean it doesn't work for deterring most opportunist trailer thieves.
- Hardened steel hitch locks that are durable and strong
- Dual ratchet system fits snug and secure
- Fits most coupler sizes available
- Very popular hitch lock meaning more thieves have had a chance to learn how to break it
9) Bulldog Easy Access Adjustable Trailer Coupler Lock
This trailer hitch lock is easy to put on but secure enough to deter most attempts to mess with it. I like the easy to access key location. I've heard reports from some saying that their Bulldog was not very durable but I have had no issues with mine. Not the most secure hitch lock but it is a good option for the price. I would recommend this hitch lock for smaller, less valuable trailers and use the big boys on your more expensive rigs.
- Simple to put this hitch lock on your trailers
- Easy access key hole
- Quality material constructed
- Excellent choice for smaller trailers
- Easier to break than other options on my list
10) Audew Trailer Hitch Lock
This universal trailer hitch lock fits 1-7/8", 2", and 2-5/16" couplers so it will work for boats, campers, ATV's, and many other trailers. A pretty good design that feels sturdy and fits fairly snug. Installs easy with little need for jimmying it around. This coupler lock is best suited for smaller trailers as I would go with a beefier model for my expensive trailers. One of the best trailer hitch locks for small to medium sized trailers.
- Excellent hitch lock design that fits snug and secure
- Well suited for small trailers
- Fits most coupler sizes
- Top choice for ATV and small boat trailers
- Not suitable for larger trailers
11) Trimax UMAX50 Universal Dual Purpose Trailer Hitch Lock
This hitch lock from Trimax is a one size fits all model. It has the dual ratchet lock system and is designed with hardened steel that locks securely to your hitch. I like the key hole cover, as it keeps debris and dirt from getting in and preventing the key from fitting in. Unlike other models out there, this one is rust resistant which will add to this hitch locks lifespan and durability. This hitch lock is designed to resist drill out attempts and being pried on. Fits couplers from 1-7/8" to 2 5/15".
- Fits most trailer couplers
- Dual ratchet locking system
- Hardened steel construction is strong and durable
- Key hole cover keeps dirt out of the locking mechanism
- Drill out and rust resistant
- Some trailer hitch sizes are not compatible
12) Connor Swivel Head Trailer Receiver Lock
This trailer hitch lock comes in 1/2" and 5/8" receiver sizes for class I-V. The simple design on this hitch locking system is very popular and for the money it is an excellent option. I prefer the bulkier hitch locks if for no other reason than I believe it makes opportunists think twice while these rod style invite more tampering attempts. I don't have any evidence to back this up so take it or leave it. Either way, this trailer hitch lock does the job and fits well and would be a good option for small to medium trailers. This lock does fit most common hitch styles and is easy to put in place. So basically whatever you are towing, this hitch lock will secure it. Constructed with quality steel and is strong and durable. Comes with two keys.
- Strong steel construction
- Fits most common trailer hitches
- Simple yet durable design
- Good choice for small and medium sized trailers
- Not suitable for larger trailers
It is Easy to Steal an Unlocked Trailer
Sadly, I have a number of friends who have had trailers stolen over the years.
And odds are, you do as well.
I still cannot believe how many people leave their expensive trailers unlocked, in plain view of would be thieves.
With the relative low cost of the best trailer hitch lock options on this list, there is no excuse for letting this happen to you.
Whether you have one trailer, or a dozen, there are many quality hitch lock options available to you.
6 Tricks You Can Use to Keep Your Trailer Secure
Almost all thieves are opportunists. And because of this, they are looking for the easiest score. And the easiest score is a trailer without a lock. You can make sure that isn't you by following these steps.
- When trailering away from home, park your trailer in well lit areas
- Park your trailer in a manner that would be difficult for someone else to maneuver it out
- Personalize your trailer. Thieves want to blend in, and a unique trailer is harder to steal
- Always secure your trailer with a high quality coupler lock when not hitched to your vehicle. Locking your trailer when you're away is a must.
- Secure trailer with a wheel clamp
- Installing an anti-theft GPS device is the final touch
Follow these simple guidelines and you will be the last person a thief will want to mess with.
For more guides and tips read these articles:
Benefits to Having One of the Best Trailer Hitch Locks
When your trailer is parked or in storage, simply securing it with one of the top trailer hitch locks instantly decreases the likely hood that your trailer is going to be stolen.
The piece of mind alone from hitch locking your rig is well worth the investment. And the ease of locking your hitch makes this a no brainer in my opinion. Most of my picks for the best trailer hitch lock slide in to place and come equipped with size adjustments allowing them to fit snug on your coupler.
When reviewing the top models out there to narrow down to my picks for the best trailer hitch lock, I looked at numerous factors. The most important of which for keeping your trailer safe were quality of construction, locking quality, ease of use, and tamper resistance. As would be expected, some models performed better than others. While I did find some models that did not make list as they were just plain no better than leaving your trailer without a lock. The top models that made my list are all capable of providing your trailer with the security necessary to keep most thieves at bay. Keep a close eye on the pros and cons as some of my picks are only suited for certain trailer sizes.