Are you searching for the best calming paste for you horse?
Choosing a calming paste made of quality ingredients can be a huge benefit to an anxious horse. With this in mind I have reviewed the top options available and after reading this article you will know my recommendations.
Check the quick list below for links to customer reviews and prices for my picks, or read on for the full review:
- SynChill Oral Horse Calming Gel
- MagnaGard Horse Pre-Performance Paste
- Formula 707 Calming Equine Supplement
- Oralx Corporation Horse Calm and Cool Pellet
- Dover Saddlery Confidence EQ
What Are the Benefits of Calming Paste?
Some horses are more anxious than others are, and using a calming paste is a great way to help them calm down. If you have a horse who is nervous, or tends to fret a lot, and you want to help them relax, then using a calming paste is often a much better alternative to opting for drugs.
While a calming paste will not change your horse’s overall demeanor or undo the damages of a poor diet, they are a great way to help your horse relax. If your horse is struggling with dealing with a more dominant horse that is boarding with you or is nervous about a competition, then using a calming paste is a great way to help them relax a little.
Some calming pastes are even designed to help reduce gastrointestinal problems that horses often deal with when they have high levels of stress. These supplements can help the horse not only relax and feel better mentally, but also improve their physical health, as well.
How Does Calming Paste Work?
Calming pastes are generally made of a number of ingredients that are specifically chosen because they will help to naturally relieve stress.
Because they do not contain any banned drugs or other substances, they are perfectly safe to use to help your horse relax when they are stressed.
The ingredients help the horse relax, perform, and focus better on the task at hand.
Is It Safe to Use?
When used correctly and when you choose a calming paste that only has high-quality ingredients, then they are perfectly safe to use.
The best calming supplement for horses are not designed to be habit forming or to be dangerous.
Of course, there are some calming pastes on the market that are not going to be as healthy for your horse, so if you have questions, then you will want to talk to your vet about the product you are considering.
It’s important to carefully consider the ingredients in the calming paste you want to use and to make sure that they are not going to harm your horse and that they are not illegal.
How Much Calming Paste Do You Give Your Horse?
Every product is going to have a different recommendation about how much calming paste to give a horse and when to provide them with the supplement.
Generally, you will want to give your horse a dose of calming paste around one to five hours before you know that they will be dealing with a stressful event. Some calming pastes can be given once every four hours, while others are only given every eight.
5 Best Calming Paste for Horses
When looking for a calming paste for your horse you need one that is both safe and effective. This comes when quality ingredients are used and unnecessary filler is left out. I have reviewed the most popular options available for safety, effectiveness, and quality.
This oral calming gel has a very short list of ingredients, which will make any horse owner feel better about giving the supplement to their horse. There are not banned drugs or substances in this product, and the oral gel syringe will dissolve instantly so that there isn’t a struggle with getting the horse to consume the product.
- It is very easy to give this product to a horse without them fighting
- Helps horses stay focused on the task at hand without causing them to appear dull
- Has been proven to help grieving horses calm so that they can get rest
- Does not work as well as other products that rely on different ingredients
- Needs to be given to the horse well in advance of their stress, which means that it’s not ideal for calming a horse during a sudden stressful situation
Not only does this calming paste help your horse calm down when they are going to be faced with stressful situations, but it also helps to soothe any gastric distress or discomfort that they are experiencing, which will help keep your horse healthier.
The paste contains magnesium, peppermint essential oil, and edible clay along with other ingredients to keep your horse calm and functioning at optimal levels throughout the day. It can be given under an hour before the horse will be facing a stressful situation, which makes it ideal for last-minute assistance.
- Helps improve stools that may be unhealthy due to stress
- Allows horses to focus during competition
- Tends to be more expensive than other supplements
This supplement offers complete support to help balance your horse’s central nervous system so that they are as calm and relaxed as possible. Not only can this supplement help to combat the natural nervousness that some horses are born with, but it also can stop the stress that horses feel when in different or new situations.
By using magnesium oxide in addition to L-tryptophan and thiamine, this supplement is able to easily calm most horses. Additionally, this product can be given to a horse twice a day, if needed, for best results.
- Easy to give to horses and provides regular and reliable stress relief
- Helps to not only decrease anxiety, but also addresses any nutritional deficiencies the horse may have
- Does not provide instant relief, and relief can take up to a week to be noticeable
Filled with natural herbs and L-tryptophan, this product helps to keep horses calm and reduce the stress that they feel so that they are easier to train. It is easy to give them this supplement as a part of their normal diet and will help to calm your excitable horse.
This supplement is also ideal if your horse is going to be experiencing a new situation, such as showing, training, or clipping and tends to be nervous. When given on a daily basis, this product helps to alleviate stress and ensure that the horse can focus.
- Does not cause any problems with allergies
- Incredibly easy to give to your horse on a daily basis
- Can take a little while before there is a noticeable difference in the horse’s demeanor
- Overdosing the horse can cause them to be difficult to control, as they will be unfocused
From the trusted brand Dover Saddlery, this horse calming paste is formulated to mimic the soothing signals a mare gives to her foals. What does that mean? They report it is based on the science of pheromone communication. But does it work? Surprisingly well as a matter of fact. I particularly like the 10 pack package they offer.
- Trusted Dover Saddlery brand
- Mimics the pheromones sent from a mare to her foal
- Reasonable price
- Occasionally out of stock
For more guides and tips read these articles:
- Supplement Review: Biotin for Horses
- Health Guide: Selenium for Horses
- Is Your Horse Deficient: Horse Minerals
- Gut health optimized with Probiotics for Horses
- Cold Blooded vs Warm Blooded vs Hot Blooded Horses
Helping an anxious horse relax can help improve not only their performance but their quality of life.
Each of my picks are comprised of natural quality ingredients and should help your anxious horse.
Fred is the editor of Equine Ridge. He grew up raising horses and has been riding, training, and competing for almost four decades. Fred started out performing on the AQHA and PHBA circuits. Fred trained other competitors in English and Western riding disciplines and today offers free riding lessons to youth who would otherwise not be able to afford lessons. When not working with horses he can be found backpacking or trying to brew the perfect cup of coffee. Email Fred at email@example.com